Loving to bake as I do, I was challenged. Never-the-less, I found that my husband, who is physically more active than I am with the heavy lifting I request of him, can still eat them for breakfast. After losing the 10 pounds on the Flat Belly Diet, I am now able to join him for an occasional mid-morning espresso and cookie. Sadly, I no longer start my day with that injection of sugar.
A couple of summers ago we were in Nova Scotia and visited several charming towns. In Mahone Bay, a town of three church steeples, we came across the Birdsall-Worthington Pottery Studio. Plenty of dishes and pottery jewelry. However, being the practical person that I am, I wanted something useful. And there it was, or rather there they were: Cookie Stamps.
|Three Churches||Balsam Fir||Father Christmas||Holly|
|Maple Leaf||May Flower||Tyrannosaurus Rex||Sea Shell|
|Thistle||Yin & Yang||Lunenburg County Heart||Snow Flake|
Living in the Hammock, only a couple of blocks from the beach, of course I purchased the Sea Shell stamp. The following recipe was included in the box at time of purchase.
Three Churches Cookie Stamp
|Three Churches Shortbread Cookies
The special edition cookie stamp was created to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the founding of Mahone Bay.• PREHEAT OVEN TO 325 F
• CREAM TOGETHER
1 cup butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1 tsp. pure lemon extract
1 tsp. pure almond extract
Knead dough on flat surface until all cracks have disappeared. Roll into 1 1/2″ balls and place 2″ apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Dust cookie stamp in a saucer of flour, then press the cookie ball, leaving a clear impression. Repeat until dough is used up, remembering to flour the stamp each time. Bake at 325 F for 20-25 min. Makes approximately 2 dozen.
- Cream the above ingredients but do not over-whip as it incorporates too much air.
- On low speed of your mixer, gradually add 4 Cups sifted bread flour. (Recipe says you may substitute up to half of another flour like almond or cake flour., I will try this next time to lighten the texture.)
- Mix until the dough comes together. You may add 1 teaspoon of almond or vanilla at this time.
- Shape into a disc, wrap in waxed paper and chill for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove and roll into 1 to 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Dip your stamp in granulated sugar and press down on ball to transfer shape.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes depending on size and your oven.
Do you approve?